Thursday, December 28, 2017

C. Inclusion of Ancillary Positions


As a true FF degenerate attempting to replicate the GM experience, to borrow a catch phrase from a popular video game, "if it's in the game, it's in my game."  If at all possible, I want to capture as many different aspects of the NFL game as I can within the fantasy leagues I set-up and run.  Therefore, players accrue points for special teams play.  I include placekickers as a position, even though the trend in many leagues is to remove them.  I also want to include punters and, if at all possible, offensive linemen.  Though it’s impossible to have stats associated with each individual lineman, there are statistics that reflect how well, or poorly, the unit as a whole is playing. I currently use a Team OL unit in TUFFSCCL, with points assigned for sacks allowed, team rushing yards gained, team passing yards gained, first downs gained (either rushing or passing but not by penalty), and 4th downs converted and failed.  That being said, I assign a smaller range of points to kickers and punters as I, personally, don't want them to be as large a part of the game as the other positions.  This also minimizes the point range amongst the position, devaluing them, which again replicates the NFL.  But in a tight game, their performances can still end up being the difference in the win-loss column, meaning it isn’t completely a throwaway position.  Therefore, there is still a benefit to the teams who put in the extra effort in analyzing these positions, further enhancing the strategy side of the equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment